OK, as a Mac and Windows user, iTunes on Windows has always bugged me for how buggy it compared to the OS X version. One of the more nitpicking complaints involved the taskbar icon. My problem didn’t just involve a double icon, but also the icon wasn’t the iTunes image (being some generic program icon). Plus, on top of that it had the label of iTunes(4). What was up with that? Well I managed to fix all these problems with one simple solution.
- Close iTunes and Unpin all iTunes icons from the Taskbar
- Open Explorer and go to the following folder: %appdata%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar
- Note: %appdata% is a soft link that typically refers to “C:\Users\<User Name>\AppData\Roaming\” Try this folder if %appdata% doesn’t work
- Delete all iTunes shortcuts in this folder
- Run iTunes either from the Star Menu or by running:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\iTunes\iTunes.exe"
- Right Click the iTunes icon on the task menu and click “Pin this program to taskbar”
By doing this, iTunes should only use one icon and will now have the iTunes picture.